American Meteorological Society (AMS) 102nd Annual Meeting
The AMS Annual Meeting is the world’s largest yearly gathering for the weather, water, and climate community. This year, the Annual Meeting focuses on the theme of “Environmental Security” and brings together world-class experts on extreme weather and climate with researchers in the fields of water quality/scarcity, energy, food, and health/diseases. This two-way exchange of expertise will inspire new insights into the links among these diverse scientific disciplines and illustrate how water, weather, and climate research can help shape policy to benefit all areas of environmental security.
Theme: Environmental Security – Weather, Water and Climate for a More Secure World
The Annual Meeting theme is organized around five interlinking environmental security pillars:
- Extreme weather: National and human security impacts of extreme weather and climatic events.
- Energy security: Environmental and security issues associated with ensuring uninterrupted availability of affordable, reliable, and accessible energy sources.
- Food security: Environmental and security issues associated with consistent access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food.
- Health security: Environmental and security issues associated with minimizing the negative impact of acute public health events that affect communities living across geographical regions and international boundaries.
- Water security: Environmental and security issues associated with safeguarding access to clean water for life, well-being, and socioeconomic development and for protection against threats from water-related disasters and pollution.