The Sandbox is currently closed and will be open on the day of the event.
The EPIC Sandbox is a platform that can be used to run Unified Forecast System (UFS) applications such as the Short-Range Weather (SRW) Application. It can be accessed using an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account.
The purpose of the EPIC Sandbox is to create an externally facing cloud sandbox to support workshop attendance, learning events, testing of innovations, and changes to the UFS models. The sandbox gives EPIC the flexibility to quickly create resources outside of the NOAA boundary that support externally facing events.
The EPIC Sandbox architecture is based on a flexible Amazon Machine Image (AMI) created to support use of the SRW Application on AWS. It can quickly (in mere minutes) launch additional resources to support as many users as NOAA mandates. AMI instances are flexible to load whatever software we need to support ongoing community engagement. EPIC will provide access to an AWS account for EPIC workshops and events, and event participants will access the sandbox through pem/ppk authentication certificates using their AWS credentials.
Sandbox User Interface Support
- Community members will be given access to sandbox credentials as needed to support events or ongoing development.
- EPIC will connect the sandbox to Amazon Web Services (AWS) Simple Storage Solution (S3) storage content as needed for community support:
- Example AMI template: https://epic-sandbox-srw.s3.amazonaws.com/template.txt
- Other S3 links can be added to the portal to support data needs in the future.
- Administrators can create a username and password for additional applications used to support community events (e.g., SonarQube, Jenkins).
Access to the EPIC Sandbox is limited to the workshop you are attending. It will be open for you to use up to one week after the workshop date.
Check out our Short-Range Weather Application page under “Get Code” for more resources on running the SRW on your local device.
Please use the Short-Range Weather Application Discussions page to ask a question on GitHub.